Thursday, August 21, 2014

Stress Relief 101



It's no secret that over the past year, I've been battling with chronic stress and a self-managed panic disorder. Unfortunately, being submerged 24/7 in a stress-loaded medical school environment takes its tolls and constantly piles on mounds of worry, fear, and thoughts of self-undermining. Some students are able to handle it magnificently and not let it affect their lives too much, while other students (like myself) are constantly pressed down by it and struggle to stay positive and keep afloat in such a fast-paced, competitive environment.

So this fall, which marks the beginning of my third year of medical school, I'm really going to work hard to try and fight the stress. I understand, though, that it's SO much easier said than done. In fact, I recall posting something similar right before boards studying time began, and I did a complete botch job at it. Thinking back to March-May of this year really triggers some PTSD-like nightmares in my head due to all the stress I had let accrue and simmer, which eventually led me to perform horribly on my board exams. It was by far one of my biggest struggles in life and I'm still affected daily by it. Thankfully, third year is sort of like a redemption for students who got low scores on boards. Clerkship grades have a huge say in residency applications, and since my core rotation marathon is about to begin in a few days time, I thought it would be appropriate to use these few days before my next rotation begins to establish a plan for those days where I'm feeling especially weighed down by stress.

I believe fall is a great time to start fresh. In fact, when I think of fall, I think of starting anew. It's a fresh new season, fresh new school year, and a fresh new opportunity for me to excel. Fall is also my favorite season and the most calming time of year for me and so it's much easier for me to be happy and optimistic.  So I've done some research on tips to reduce stress. Now, not all the stress-relieving tips work and are feasible for me so I've narrowed it down to the stress-relieving activities that I think will work the best for me. Of course, as I've said, it's a lot easier said than done but I'm motivated to try and work extra hard to minimize the stress in my life. Stress completely wreaks havoc on my body. I tend to break out a lot more, I gain weight (as evidenced by my 10 pound weight gain in the past two years), I eat terribly, I feel exhausted, and just hate the way I live when I get stressed. Therefore, I really want to try and prevent stress from piling on for the next year. Third year can definitely become stressful as I've learned from the few rotations I've been on so far. It's a full 8-12 hour day followed by studying at nights, which can take a toll if you don't plan out enough breaks and non-medical activities.

So enough rambling, here are some tips I've listed and hoping I can fall back on when I'm feeling down on myself.

in the morning
-try to wake up at least two hours ahead of heading out the door
-start each morning with a soothing, hot cup of green tea
-progressive relaxation
-morning yoga whilst deep breathing
-browse through daily planner
-reserve at least an hour for getting ready and preparing meals for the day

throughout the day
-eat small, nutritious meals frequently
-try to check things off planner list

in the evening
-light a soothing candle
-take a hot shower
-listen to soft, classical or piano music
-drink herbal tea and read something non-medical
-finish a craft project
-clean and organize
-explore and study in a new location
-finish all items on daily planner
-plan out next day's meals
-sleep!

on the weekends
-go for a nature walk on early weekend mornings
-attend a sermon or watch an online sermon on weekend mornings
-explore and study in a new location
-take a mini road trip
-participate in local events or community service efforts
-spa night

No comments :

Post a Comment