Sunday, June 1, 2014

June: New Years Resolution Update



I wanted to do a life update post today but instead of just rambling on, I figured I would shape this post around my New Year's resolutions and how I'm doing with them.
In a nutshell: not exactly the place I want to be at, sadly.
But that's okay! Because life is all about improving yourself and I'm not going to give up just because I have had a few setbacks this year. By far, the number 1 thing getting in the way of my goals has been Step 1. I know that's a really crappy excuse, but that test and prep period literally drove me crazy. Let's just not even go there. It was by far the worst period of my life and will probably end up being a lifelong regret because I wish I had studied harder and did better on Step 1. But I didn't fail and my dream isn't over so that's what really matters!

#1 Weighing 125 pounds
It's taken a lot of courage for me to even talk about this in a post because my weight is the most out of control part of my life right now. Instead of losing weight, I actually gained weight during my study period. I don't even want to know how much I weigh right now because I will probably have a panic attack if I see the exact number. But let's just say that all of my clothes have become tighter. Very very hard to suck it in and admit it, but I need to really buck up and turn the scale in the opposite direction. I could go on about how I gained all this weight but that would just be counterintuitive and put a lot of negativity in this post. Let's just say that it happened and I am trying my very hardest to take restorative steps towards improving it. I don't want to get too much into it because I am just starting my weight loss regime ALL over again, which kind of really sucks, but I will do some updated posts in the future.

#2 Capturing moments
I have been pretty good about this! I haven't had the greatest social life due to Step 1, but every moment I spend with friends and family, I try to capture. I even took a photo when I hung out with my best friends from college a few weeks ago for my birthday, which will definitely end up in a scrapbook!

#3 Keeping up with friends
Again, something that's been going relatively well. I try to keep up with my friends as much as possible, but I could always do a better job at it. For example, I don't see a lot of my old friends and I usually hangout my current med school friends and a few old friends here and there. I need to spend a bit more time talking to my undergraduate friends because I really feel like I'm losing touch with them. Don't know what I can do, since they all seem to be busy with their lives, but I am trying and will hopefully try to meet up with them sometime this year, maybe during my research month. My social life is something that I am always trying to work hard on, but is sometimes really hard to manage because everyone's at different points in their lives right now.

#4 Processed foods, refined sugars
Kinda going along #1, Step 1 killed this goal. But I am trying to get back into the swing of things and will update this blog as I keep trying new things out. Just went grocery shopping, though and most of my cart was natural stuff. Lots of fruits, veggies, protein, and healthy snacking. Also cleaned up my Pinterest and I'm excited to try new and healthy recipes soon.

#5 Sleeping
Yes! Doing well! I've recently started to get up between 5-7am depending on what I have to do that day and working out before going to work. So far (in the past 4 days I mean), I have been kicking butt at this! It's hard to wake myself up that early, but I've been treating myself to coffee from either Starbucks or Dunkin every morning I wake up early and workout, and it's working! I definitely love the way my mind feels after a morning workout and not having to exercise after a long, hard day at work. Also love seeing the beautiful morning sky and listening to the news on my way to the gym early in the morning. Just really relaxing for me, minus getting my brain up that early. Hopefully I can keep it up and shed those pounds!

#6 Credit card bills < $300/month
Ahhhhh, definitely not going well but I am working on it! I'm trying to shop less and eat more at home this month, so we shall see how well that goes when I get my bill at the end of the month :)

No comments :

Post a Comment