Wednesday, June 4, 2014

My Updated Morning Routine


I've made some pretty big changes to my morning routine now that third year has begun and I can't quite fit everything in my day as easily as I could in college. I wish I had began this routine since day one of medical school, since I'm actually finding it to be quite refreshing and energizing!
Pretty much, my entire day has been changed thanks to a few, but drastic changes to my morning schedule. I've written out my "ideal" morning schedule on most mornings. Now, the timings will probably change based on the starting times of the rotation I'm currently in. Right now I'm on a research month, so my schedule is pretty flexible. But, next month I will be in Ob/Gyn, which starts as early as 6am! But, no matter what rotation I'm on, I'd like to shape my mornings and days around this basic schedule.

4:30 am: Pill time
I wake up a half hour before the time I really want to be outta bed so I can take my thyroid replacement pill (which needs to be taken on an empty stomach 30 minutes before breakfast). I put the pill and a bottle of water next to my bed the night before so I don't get too lazy to get up and fetch my pills in the morning and end up sleeping in instead. Also, I can nap while the medicine's being digested and I can then eat a little morning snack before my workout so I'm not starving. Also, I chug a bottle of water with the pill, so it helps me to start off the day hydrated!

5:00 am: Wake up, get clean, run out the door
After my little post-pill nap, I force myself to get outta bed and put on my workout clothes. I try to set these out the night before, or otherwise I just grab the first gym clothes I see haha. I also refill my bottle of water and grab a little quick digesting carbohydrate-rich snack like a granola bar or banana. I usually eat these and maybe sip some water on my 15 minute drive to the gym.

5:30 am: Exercise time!
I park right outside my gym so I don't waste any extra time. I try to fit in at least a 30 minute cardio workout, usually a sweaty elliptical workout or an incline treadmill hike. If I have some extra time or I'm feeling motivated, I do some crunches, use the weights machines, or bump up my workout to 45-60 minutes.

6:30am-6:45 am: Come home, shower
On days I have rotation, I like to be home around this time so I have plenty of time to get dressed and head out. I like to ideally have 45 minutes to get dressed and leave home a half hour before if my site is on campus. I usually hop in the shower the second I get home and save eating for later. If I'm ravenous, I'll grab a fruit or a snack before I head into the shower.

6:45 am-7:30am: Get dressed, grab breakfast, pack lunch
Like I mentioned, I like to blow dry my hair after my morning shower, which normally takes me about 10-15 minutes. I then just pop it into a bun so it's out of my face. I then get dressed, put on my contacts, pat on my moisturizer, and apply my makeup. If I'm running late, I just apply foundation, concealer, powder, maybe a swipe of blush and mascara, and grab a lip product before I head out the door. I also try to set aside at least 10 minutes to make a quick breakfast and pack my lunch/snacks for the day. As much as I try to pack my lunch the night before, it never happens! I do have a growing mental list of quick grab and go breakfasts that I have, so maybe I'll make a blog post about that in the future.

7:30 am: Head out the door!
Once I'm dressed and prettied up, I make sure I have all my essentials in my work bag (which I definitely prepare the night before!) and head out the door! If I can, I make coffee at home. Otherwise, I just grab a quick coffee at the hospital to reward myself for a great workout! :)


So I have definitely been LOVING my new morning routine. Yes, it is incredibly difficult to get into the habit of waking up extra early, but it's definitely worth it. From the very first step, you wake up and hydrate, which I'm finding is really important for mental function. And then getting exercise out of the way is a really great feeling and sets the tone for what I eat throughout the day (trust me, you don't wanna eat a fried chicken sandwich for lunch after you spent the morning busting your butt on the elliptical!).
I find that I don't need caffeine as much after exercising in the morning. Of course, being the coffee junkie I am, I still have my morning cup, but I don't depend on my afternoon cup of coffee like I used to. Exercising in the morning is also helping me focus much much better and increases my work productivity like none other!
The only thing about this morning routine is that it is a little jam packed and I can't have as leisurely of a morning as I would like. But as I said, the boost in mental and physical energy is definitely worth it. I hope I can keep it up during my early morning rotations because I would hate to adjust to a great morning routine like this only to not be able to do it anymore! 

No comments :

Post a Comment