Monday, March 3, 2014

Sunday Baking: Egg White Muffins



So since I have recently been doing nothing but sitting in my cave for Step 1 studying, I've been really missing doing fun stuff like cooking, baking, decorating, SHOPPING, etc. I even have been neglecting watching beauty videos and keeping up with my fav beauty gurus! Crazy, huh? 
So this Sunday when I was feeling a little stressed, I decided to make the most of my snow day (I was stuck at home) and do some baking. Instead of making something sweet like last week (made chocolate chip muffins!), I wanted to make something more savory this weekend. So after perusing Pinterest and deciding that I needed a grab-and-go hot breakfast option, I ended up to making egg white muffins with turkey sausage, spinach, and cheddar cheese. And boy are they delish! However, there is much room for improvement and I can see ways for improvement and variety next time I make these.

For starters, I used frozen chopped spinach which in retrospect I shouldn't have used because it was liquid-y once thawed. I think that's why my egg muffins turned out a little liquidy/slightly soggy. Next time, I will definitely be using fresh spinach to remove that liquid factor. Next, I chopped up some turkey sausage and put them into each muffin cup. Definitely glad I did so because they give it a little zesty flavor and add more protein. Since this dish was a last minute decision, I didn't have very many other things to put into my muffins except some shredded cheese. Once I poured the equivalent of roughly 1.5 egg whites into each cup, I sprinkled on some cheddar cheese on top of each muffin cup. 

Like I said, definitely impressed with the way they turned out but I already see some things I can improve on next time. For one, I plan on using fresh spinach instead of frozen spinach to remove that liquid-y ness. Second, I cooked these for 20 minutes this time and they were a little bit undone (but still good enough to eat), so next time I will leave these in there for a full 30 minutes. The turkey sausage is definitely a keeper, but I want to add some onions and peppers next time to give the muffins a little more flavor. I also want to somehow tweak this recipe so that it has less sodium. Right now there's about 230mg sodium per muffin, which isn't too bad but I can only eat one at a time. Ideally I would like them to have less than 150mg sodium per muffin. On the bright side, each little muffin packs only 75 calories and a whopping 10 grams of protein! 

Definitely love this recipe though because these muffins are SO easy to make and because they make a portable delicious hot nutritious breakfast on busy mornings! And they're super versatile. The options are endless with these -- adding more veggies, different cheeses, different meats, sauces, etc. I will definitely be making more of these in the future, possibly even as early as next weekend! :)

Oh and I'm also considering making each Sunday evening a baking/cooking adventure to destress a little bit and to prep meals for my busy, busy, busy weekdays!

No comments :

Post a Comment