Saturday, March 15, 2014

Wet&Wild Comfort Zone


A few months ago, I posted about my obsession with this palette. Well, I since have purchased it and I've been using it literally every day this past week. I gotta say though that I have mixed feelings about it. I pretty much have a love-hate relationship with most of these shades that's actually a little frustrating. First off, the pros: the quality of these shades is absolutely AMAZING. They last all day, they're super buttery, very pigmented, true to color, don't fade or crease...they're literally a dream to work with. W&W really did an amazing job with the formulation and I have no complaints with its quality in the least bit. They're also super cheap...I think I only paid like $5 for this palette and it has a lotta product and will probably last me for a good while.

My problem with this palette is the color range. The colors in not only this palette, but all of the other trios Wet & Wild has are quite boring, monotonous, similar, and in a nutshell: not really up my alley. Here are some swatches from my most used shades (the 2 browbone shades, the eyelid shade on the left, the crease shade on the left, and the definer shade on the right).

Left to right: left browbone, left eyelid, left crease, right browbone, right definer

The first and fourth shades (the two browbone shades) are super light and make me look washed out so I can't really wear those on my lid. The second shade (eyelid) is a salmon-toned gold, which is kinda useless to me since I have my Naked 3 palette that has much better rose-hued shades. The last swatch (definer) is weird because it's quite sheer and doesn't really show up on my eyelid for some reason, even with a primer...I don't know it's weird. Looks pretty in the pan, but not so pretty on the lid. The only shade I really like is the third one (crease), which reminds me of Smog from Urban Decay, which was my favorite shade in the Naked palette. However, I recently purchased the NYX Dream Catcher palette which has really gorgeous bronze/copper eyeshadows that I would opt to use over this shade. So pretty much, this palette is kinda useless to me since I have other palettes with similar shades. I'm kinda disappointed because I wanted this to be a staple, "everyday reach-for" palette, but I don't think this lived up to those expectations for me. I can't really say any of these shades are unique or that I'm going to reach for this palette on a daily basis. Plus, as far as transportation goes, the palette is a little large and bulky and not so easy to fit into my makeup bag. However, I will say that this palette is the closest rival I've found to the UD shadows in terms of quality of the shadows. And for that reason alone, this palette is excellent.

So there you have it: my lil' dilemma with this palette. I'm not bashing the palette in any way since the shades are such amazing quality for a dirt cheap price. I really wish they had more trios or 8-shade pans in more diverse shades. I would love to see a totally matte trio or a golden trio or even a bronze trio. At the moment, literally all of their trios look the same with a really dark shade that I have plenty of, a really light frost shade that will definitely make me look washed out, and a super vibrant color that I will never use. None of their trios have interested me at all, which is a shame since the shadows are so amazing in terms of quality. I don't know though, maybe I will give one of their trios a try and see how I feel about them.

Anyway, I am going to give some of my other palettes a try and review them at the end of next week. So keep an eye out! Next on my to-review list is my NYX Dream Catcher Palette and my Naked 3 Palette. Maybe even throw in my Tarte Eyeshadow Palette from the Tarte of Giving gift set I got this past Christmas. I do want to invest in a small, portable eyeshadow duo or trio that I can just literally throw in my bag or have as a "reach-for" product when I'm pressed for time. I'm thinking of buying a matte quad from Physician's Formula for those kinda days because matte shadows are definitely more natural and effortless compared to shimmery shadows, and I already have plenty of shimmery neutral shadows in my stash so it would be useless to buy more. I also have my eye out on a BareMinerals duo with two brown matte shades, but I don't feel like dropping $20 on another eye product. Don't know though! I will definitely post once I make up my mind!

No comments :

Post a Comment