Saturday, January 18, 2014

Food Adventures!

The last few days have been quite eventful. Some great memories were made these past few days and some not-so-great memories were unfortunately made as well. So this is the week I was really skeptical about because I had a lot of dinner dates planned, which involved eating crappy calorie-rich foods and spending money. But I feel like I handled it quite well. And this week was actually (surprisingly!) quite successful in terms of exercising. I worked out 4x this week and if I make it to the gym tomorrow, it will be a full 5x this week! So proud of myself. Although I did just check my credit card statement and my bill is $380 right now, which makes me a little upset :( I guess this is a good life lesson for money managing: everything adds up! Literally, most of my daily purchases are only $5-10 at the hospital cafeteria, but it's so surprising how it adds up to create a big humongous bill! 

Anyway, so stop number 1 this week was a post-exam lunch at Nicky's Thai Kitchen, which happens to be rated one of the top 25 restaurants in Pittsburgh. I got their cashew nut chicken with white rice, which was absolutely delish and quite affordable. And to top it off, it was actually really light! I didn't feel stuffed or bloated after eating that and I got hungry again around dinnertime, which proved that the dish was probably only 500-600 calories at maximum. Not too happy about all the salt in the dish, though. Loved this delicious post-exam treat. Definitely looking forward to going back there again sometime to try out their curries or other chicken dishes. 


Next up is Wednesday evening post-Wicked dinner. It was my first time seeing Wicked and oh my goodness, I LOVED it. The performers were all so talented, especially the girl who played Elfy. I cannot wait to download the soundtrack! After dinner, a group of us headed over to Meat & Potatoes for our post-show reservations. I got my favorite dish there, the lamb burger with fries. I'm not not a huge lamb person, but oh my goodness...this burger was absolutely divine! Super tender, juicy, and moist. And it went great with the fries, even though you can clearly see the salt crystals smothering them. I'm sure this dish was very high in calories, so I decided to make Wednesday my diet day off. Definitely worth every single calorie in there. Spent $20 there, however, which is super high for just a burger and fries, but the ambience of the restaurant was beautiful and it was a nice way to end the evening after a great musical performance.


Thursday evening, me and another curriculum committee member had to take the Grand Rounds speaker out to lunch. We took her to Spoon, one of the fanciest restaurants around Pittsburgh. This picture was actually taken in the bathroom.....yes shameful, but their napkins were just so beautifully printed and arranged! Also, I figured it wouldn't be very professional to be taking photos of my food during a formal dinner, so I just skipped it and decided to take a picture of the napkins instead for remembrance :) all three of us had a delicious 3-course dinner. I started off with a caesar salad (only ate half of the parmesan croutons!) followed by the chicken trio dish. It featured grilled chicken breast, spinach and mushroom stuffed chicken, and chicken coated with veloute (some sort of cheese sauce). It was SO good. The portions were super small, but it was actually quite perfect because dinner didn't leave me feeling overly stuffed. To end dinner, the speaker decided to get a carrot dessert dish, whereas I opted for some coffee. Even their coffee was delicious! It was definitely a much-needed fancy pampering experience, and I'm glad I volunteered to take the speaker out. She was such great company and gave us great advice for medical school and beyond.


Annnnddd lastly Friday night. Probably one of the worst nights I've had. The day started off fine, but towards the evening I was really disappointed and demeaned by a really good friend of mine. I don't really want to spill too many details because I don't want to re-experience the emotions, but suffice it to say that I was quite hurt and miserable last night. I decided to just say fuck it and treat myself. I was really really really craving a cheeseburger and fries...with mayonnaise. So I stomped through the snow, marched up to my hospital cafeteria, and got one. I didn't think about the calories or anything, I just wanted to treat myself and take the day off from studying. And I've got to say it was really therapeutic. I awoke feeling super refreshed and started the day off fresh by cleaning my room, catching up on beauty blogs, doing a pilates workout, and just relaxing. I'm off to the museum now with some good friends and then will be probably studying late into the night. I'm not one bit sad that I caved in yesterday because I've learned that sometimes in life, you have to just stop what you're doing, drop all your responsibilities, and just indulge. 


I'm so ready to tackle this week and the rest of this month. Bring it on! :) 


No comments :

Post a Comment